Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Seminary at Ciutadella.

The Theological College cloisters adjacent to the Church of “Socors”, makes up part of the old Augustine convent site which was built in the middle of the second half of the 17th Century. The round arches stand out from the structure, supported by quadrangular pilasters which surround the central part, and with a corridor covered by rib vaults with sculpted shields; over which another gallery runs, originally of similar characteristics, but currently enclosed by stained glass of a clearly Baroque style. The Augustine monks left the convent in 1835 and from 1858 the Diocesan Seminary has taken up residence, occupying the old convent facilities.

 One of the two terracota coloured baroque domes covering the two towers of the Seminary building.

No comments:

Post a Comment